Slow fashion october

mercredi 4 octobre 2017

 Slow fashion october is a concept created by Karen Templer of Fringe association : here is how she describes it on her blog :

"I still think the best description I’ve ever given of this event is the one in the @slowfashionoctober profile: “A celebration of the small-batch, handmade, second-hand, well-loved, long-worn, known-origins wardrobe.” Slow fashion, to me, is all of those things — from the thrift-store find to the me-made to the special purchase, and everything in between. Slotober is meant to be fun, thoughtful, enlightening and challenging, and has been for the past two years, so I’m looking forward to this year’s conversation."


I don't think I even noticed this event in the past years, but this year it did strike a cord and I do want to be a part of it, even in my humble , very slow way!

This school year has started very differently from the last one, leaving me more time to breath and more energy to give to myself and my creativity. Time to think also, and wonder what I want to do creatively. And also time to be inspired by others, which is so important to me. 

One of the first topic for conversation given to us by Karen is "WHO?" :  here is how she puts it:
 "THE WEEK ONE TOPIC IS: WHO. As in not only who are you (i.e. introductions) but who has influenced or inspired you to think or do differently with regard to clothing yourself, and in what way? And if you’ve set any goals or plans for yourself this month, include them in your introduction!"

 And here is my answer:
I have been making part of my clothes and my children's for 5 years now. I find great joy in the process. I also started knitting 2 years ago. It liberates me, it empowers me and it heals my soul. 

However, I realized in the last 2 years, that I had not always "made" things for the right reasons: there was a lot of ego and pride involved, trying to impress others. It kind of burnt me out after a while. I used to spend so much time sewing all the new cool patterns, trying all the most recent fabrics.And blogging a lot.  But it took me away from my family. It took too much of my time. I am not saying it a bad thing to sew intensively or to blog regularly. A lot of other crafters do it brilliantly. But it didn't work for me: my job, my kids, our daily rhythms and my own personality are not fit for this kind of frantic creativity.

Now I knit and I sew when I have time. I  do it for myself, I don't always share everything I make. I do it slowly, one stitch at a time, 15 minutes here, 20 there. It took ages to put this outfit together. But I feel good about it because it didn't take time away from other important things. And it is still here, perfect as it humbly is. It reflects my style at the moment, my desire for comfort and beautiful materials, my love for oldfashioned designs and soft colors.


I also only recently became aware of the importance of considering what type of fabric or yarn I am using, where it is coming from and how much I am buying. I don't want my craft to be another source of ecological or economical burden.

I have became conscious of these aspects of my crafts thanks to a few ladies, mainly people I am inspired by online. To name a few:
- Ute  from ute_ig 
- the talented Hilary from entropyalwayswinsblog: she is a true artist and she creates every thing with meaning and thoughtfulness. 
- Ashley Yousling and her ever inspiring Woolful podcast
- the very talented and utterly cool Meg Mcelwee from Sew Liberated : her style, her patterns and her philosophy of creativity is a number one for me this year.  I actually found my "wardrobe sewing mojo" back after reading a few posts form her blog.
- of course and forever: my dear Rachel of Stitched together, for her love of making and the way she still finds time for her creativity in the midst of raising and teaching her 5 beautiful children.
 - and many others. Our fiber community is a beautiful one: there is so much talent and so much support. 

These women are such a great source of inspiration for me: they teach me that creating is not another way of consuming. They teach me that we can knit and sew in a thoughtful way, a way that is good for our world, our community and our souls. 
 

So here is my first outfit for Slow Fashion october:
  • a Cleo skirt: pattern by Made by Rae: as per usual a great pattern with great explanations and lovely details. 
  • fit: I chose a size XS because I was between XS and S and Rae recommended using the smaller size on her sew along. 
  • I used a 14 inches elastic and it works great for me
  • I used a french made linen that is so soft and oldfashioned looking, I am in love
  • I added contrasting pockets in Atelier Brunette Gauze
  • I made a view A but I lengthened it to under my knees.



 And I added this Schooltunic pattern by Sew Liberated, in gauze and the same linen:
  •  I really wanted to achieve the same kind of look as Meg's one , so I made a size 10-12 instead of my normal 6-8.
  • I chose the 3/4 sleeves

 I am wearing my old boots and a Top I bought years ago.

 I love that I look like a school teacher from the 19th century with the tunic and skirt layered.


Well that's it for me folks!
Have a great October, enjoy the weather and wonderful colors.
hugs.

2 commentaires:

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi Playground