{ A happy crazy quilt }

jeudi 29 décembre 2016


 This quilt was for my mother. I made it for Christmas and it felt so good to see her so happy to receive something I made especially for her. Her joy made my heart sing, and then I remembered why quilting is so good: it is a way to give people love and care. 
I read somewhere that quilters are some of the most generous people. And even though I would not dare say so about myself, I believe it to be true: generosity and love are a the core of the quilting process. 

 This quilt was inspired by a design by Nancy Purvis, alias Owen's Olivia. I saw it on her instagram account, and then I saw a version of it made by Bijou Lovely. I was instantly hooked.

I thought it would be the perfect way to display gorgeous farbrics.


 And what could be more beautiful than a fat quarter stack of Anna Maria Horner's Dowry fabrics??
I had these in my stash for 2 years, when they were gifted to me by my beloved man.
There were waiting for the perfect design to sing and shout their gorgeousness!

It was my first time making an improv quilt and let me tell you: it is so freeing!

  • I cut a 11" strip into 12 fatquarters. 
  • then I subcut each strip into 12 smaller strips measuring between 1,5" x 11 to 3"x11. 
  • I cut them with my rotary cutter, usually free hand , with no ruler. 
  • I did the same with the white fabric. 
  • then I pieced together the blocks: 6 strips of white, with 6 strips of prints
  • then I trimmed each block down to a 11" x15" rectangle. 
I had 20 blocks in the end.
 


My binding is a green print by Carolyn Friedlander.



For the quilting I used a wavy line made with my walking foot (although my walking foot drives me CRAZY for some reason, and would never give me even stitches!)
There is a fabulous tutorial by bijou lovely that you can view here 



 I luuuurve the backing! it is made of some True Color by Anna maria Horner and some gorgeous organic flannel.



 My cute Man was king enough to hold the quilt for you , my dear readers! but he could not help but show a peek of his lovely face!

Well I guess, it is time to close this year of blogging with some warm wishes:
I wish you all a creative and happy new year 2017!

Thank you for reading!
Sophie

2 commentaires:

  1. great quilt for a great mother for sure! I should test improv quilting! Happy Neaw year Eve! bises

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Je crois qu'on a les mêmes goûts Sophie... ahah!

    RépondreSupprimer

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi Playground