A boy and his new sweater

dimanche 21 janvier 2018



 Oh this boy... my heart sinks when I see him so happy to wear his new sweater!
Yesterday, as the sweater was blocking, he kept on going up to my studio,  to check if it was dry! and it took ALL .. DAY!!
When he finally put it on , he jumped up and down in pure delight!
This is why making handmade garments is so worthwhile!

 I really liked this pattern by Compagnie M, in that I was able to get a perfect fit according to my own gauge. And yes, it does fit him perfectly, although I allowed for a bit of growth when I made the sleeves. 
There are a few things that I think could be improved in the pattern. I think it is written a bit like a sewing pattern and less like a traditionnal knitting pattern, which confused me a bit sometimes. 
I like my knitting patterns to use abbreviations such as KFB or RS/ WS and these were not in the pattern. 
BUT on the whole it was a very easy pattern and I would recommend it to beginners. 

 The fact that it is knitted flat scared me slightly. But my wise friend Mel  told me that seamed garments are stronger and last longer. It provides a better hold to the whole piece. She told me to try and enjoy the process. It went all well until I had to pick up the neckline stitches and again , because I have very little clue of what I am supposed to do when "pick up and knit" is indicated... well I became slightly frustrated!!
But she also told me I could mend any little holes after blocking, which is what I did. 

SO in the end I am very happy with the result. 

  The wool is simply perfect: it is ecological, ethical and european! I love De Rerum Natura's wool so much!
This one is Gilliatt in Nuit. 


 The boy wanted to sleep in it last night! he loves it so much and he is so proud that his mam made it.

Not only do I enjoy making these handmade garments so much (and that in itself is a reward!!) but I find great joy in my boy's joy!


2 commentaires:

  1. I am soooo envious of people who can knit! I cannot do it to save my life! I had a smile on my face reading about your son's anticipation of his new sweater. Isn't it the sweetest reward for a crafting soul? Love the sweater on him. The colour is divine!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. What a wonderful jumper, I love the colour. Your son looks so happy wearing it. I love that my two boys still want me to make them jumpers, even though we live in Australia now. It's very rewarding to have happy recipients.

    RépondreSupprimer

Proudly designed by | mlekoshi Playground